Hainesville Baptist Church has come a long way since its creation in 1897. Before the church was created, the first Sunday School was taught by Thomas Blackwell in a building on the Billing's place and was also used as a school. The church was organized by Rev. George W. Whitehurst. The building was erected on land donated by the Haines family. Due to a fire, records up until 1906 were burned, leaving bare the history of the church before that time.
On September 8, 1906, the church united with Wood County Baptist Associtaion. Then on September 11, 1908, a Sunday School was organized with Bro. J.H. Lindley as the superintendent.
In the summer of 1916, Bro. F.J. Blackmon held a revival and more people joined the church then than any other time or revival in the history of the church. There were 77 additions, 63 for baptism and 14 by letter. On August 27, 1916, all 63 were baptized in the creek north of the H.N. Penix place. In 1925, a building committee was organized and a new church building was constructed with the dedication on October 30, 1927.
Several pastors were called between 1916 and 1935. That year the church burned on a Sunday afternoon, but was quickly rebuilt. In 1954, the church was remodeled and enlarged. It was remodeled to accommodate the growing Sunday School classes. The interior of the sanctuary was paneled and carpeted and a baptistery and central heating/cooling system was installed.
On September 6, 1954, the first Homecoming was held. The Homecoming held on September 2, 1956, marked the year that Homecoming became an annual affair, with 221 in attendance.
Bro. A.W. (Artur) Dimsdle began his pastorate on September 1, 1973, about thirty years after being ordained in this church. In 1976, the fourth Sunday of October was set as the permanent date for the Annual Homecoming.
In 1977 extensive remodeling of the sanctuary was completed with chandeliers donated by Henrietta Moore and extra money was used to start a benevolence fund, which led to additional parking space across the road.
The church voted to add a fellowship hall in April, 1983, and was dedicated on Homecoming day in 1983. Bro. Holland Atchley became pastor on April 5, 1987, and that spring the community revival was started.
The Duke family enabled the church to acquire the old Hainesville Store building in 1994, which was used as a Youth Annex, dedicated on July 17, 1994. In 2003, Bro. Terry Davis became the pastor of Hainesville Baptist Church.
Today, Hainesville Baptist Church has seen many changes but is still used to serve our Lord. The church voted to build a Family Life Center across the street. Following the completion of the center, the church voted to build Phase II, consisting of Sunday School classes and offices.
God has blessed and provided for Hainesville Baptist Church and continues to do so. With over 100 years in service to the Lord, Hainesville Baptist Church strives to share our blessings and do whatever we can to bring people to the Lord.